Skip to main content
Get your Wikispaces Classroom now:
the easiest way to manage your class.
Pages and Files
Cinco de Mayo
Intl Museums Day
Sustainable Travel Summit
World Environment Day
World Oceans Day
World Listening Day
Indigenous Peoples Week
Total Solar Eclipse
Māori Language Week
World Tourism Day
Planet, People Peace
New Year's Day
Responsible Travel Week
World Radio Day
Intl Mother Language Day
Would you like to help edit?
Feedjit Live Blog Stats
How to Be Generous
how to be generous
Generosity is the freedom from meanness or smallness of mind or character.
altruism - assist -
- courteous - courtesy - donation - donor -
- endorse - endorsement - engagement - enrich -
- gift -
- good samaritan - healing - help - life - listen - magnanimous -
- people - philanthropy -
- praise - reciprocity - selfish - testimonial - unselfish -
- well-being -
How to be generous
How to be generous ... some ideas
Generosity enriches us all but how to be generous? Here is a mix of practical and wild ideas. Let us know what works for you!
1. Be kind. Say thank you to someone in person. Say something nice about people you like.
2. Be kind using some form of media. Send a positive message using anything you'd like --
-- to thank someone you admire.
microphilanthropy in tourism
Fave a photo on Flickr
or buy someone a
5. Hug a tree, play with an animal, water your plants. Let your actions simply say 'thank you.'
6. Write a 5-star review for a favorite book or
7. Give money. Support the websites you would like to consult next week. (
8. Make a donation. Give money and support the institutions, websites and individuals who you respect.
9. If you have a website, consult with colleagues and update the home page now. If you cannot update the home page, get a new home page ... or wiki.
10. If you have a website, add a link to other sites you respect
11. Assist the INS (Internet NOT Savvy) by printing out pages or coaching them on the fine points of online participation.
12. Contribute to the
that enlightens and inspires!
14. Print relevant
handouts and post them on a public message board. If you take a picture, please upload to
15. Donate frequent flyer miles.
16. Buy crafts without bartering.
17. Subsidize the cost of preparing business cards and inexpensive flyers for favorite artisans. Make sure the work is done locally.
18. Be consistent.
19. Find a way to
along the continuum
20. Bid on an auction that benefits social or environmental concerns that engage you.
21. Send a
from somewhere you like to someone you love.
22. Facebook: Share a flattering photo on a friend's wall. Bonus points if they choose this as their profile pic.
Reflect on the Platinum Rule: Do unto others as they would like to have you do unto them
24. Contribute to
25. Write an endorsement of a colleague on
Altruism and Evolution - David Sloan Wilson
- Evolutionist David Sloan Wilson argues that evolution can and should inform public policy, in areas as diverse and financial systems and restoring outdoor play for children. He founded the world's first evolutionary think tank to promote the idea.
Radiolab: The Good Show
- Jad and Robert wrestle with a disturbing question: does natural selection favor selfishness? Or can it pay to be nice? We look at the cold calculations of kin selection, talk to heroes who risked their lives for strangers, and look to game theory--where doing good is sometimes a good strategy.
Oren Harman on The Price of Altruism
- The origins of altruism and he explores why it is that some organisms ( even down to bacteria) sacrifice themselves for the benefit of others, for the survival of the bigger community
Doing good better
- 'Tis the season of love, goodwill, and honed calculations—the rise of the new altruist.
Samaritan Day in Oaxaca
Tourism and Microphilanthropy
Charity on the Web
La Samaritana - Erick Igari
Elsewhere on the Web
Social media as gift culture: the reputation game
El que ayuda a otro, se ayuda a sí mismo.
(One who helps another, helps himself.)
- Mexican proverb
La generosidad nos enriquece. (Generosity enriches us.)
- Mexican proverb
It is more blessed to give than to receive.
- Acts 20:35 (King James Version)
Shower praise on your advocates.
- Steve Bridger,
Putting People at the Heart
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
- Winston Churchill
Create More Value Than You Capture
O'Reilly Media - Learning
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"